Saturday, November 15, 2008

I'M LEAVIN'!!!!


I'm leaving tonight!!!

I drove to Houston yesterday in hopes that they would interview me and they did. My passport is stamped and my flight is booked. Unfortunately, I'll be spending the night in the San Francisco airport. I don't think Linda was paying attention when she booked it. Won't be the first time I've spent the night in an airport!

During my interview yesterday, Consul Min asked me what my style of teaching would be. I told him that first and foremost I wanted to make my students feel comfortable and not embarrassed to speak English. I explained to him that because of my embarrassment in speaking Spanish, I haven't progressed. He then asked me in 3 different ways if I did indeed speak Spanish and I told him I was somewhat conversational. Then he busted out with, "Pues, habla espanol un poquito?" And I answered in the affirmative (in Spanish) and then there was no stopping the man. Fortunately, I understood him. He told me that I have a good accent in Spanish and that it will be useful in speaking Korean. I had no idea I'd be speaking Spanish at my Korean consulate interview. Good thing I wasn't lying!

Oh, I also made a friend at the consulate. He'll be teaching at a university in Jeju. Pretty exciting....

Next time I write I'll be in KOREA!!!!!

Adios,

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Abbi said...

I'm so impressed that you spoke Spanish at the interview! That is not an easy feat, I know. Did you get to Korea safely? Girl, we need updates! You know how John Paul and I worry!